Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Rules for Expressing Experience?

James showed me this image he made today, and in a minute I found this image was made up with all my photos took in Spain. Then I started to think about, how's life of the girl on the top of the pic going right now? Is she working right now? getting married?what's her hair like? how's her family doing right?
And as I look at the people I met at the conference Eurographics, similar ideas came across too.
What are the guys doing recently? Are they coming up with new research topics?
Lots of things come and go in my mind, and I believe everyone is gonna feel different upon seeing such image designed particularly for him/her.


The question here is,
Experience can be represented through text, images, video, audio, and so on.
If we were making new media for users to re-experience our experience, that is,

to make them recall their memories,
to make them associate these memories to something else in the past, present, or even future,
and even to create new memories for the past, present, or future,
  • Can we find a general process that experience can be represented or expressed?
  • Can we fomulate an environment such that these goals can be tangible, or realized?

This invites even more fundemental questions,
  • How do humans memorize things?
  • How do they treat their memories? How do they interact with their memories?
Once I read about something about our memories that are false. It pointed that sometimes our brains make up new memories according to our exprience. Illusion made by this weird situation may be like,
"Oh! I remember that I have been to this situation in my dream!"
I wonder that maybe, in our minds , what we experience and what we create are seperated by merely a thin line. So another question might be,
  • What is the meaning of memories/experiences to us humans?
May we find the answers to these questions, I think an extremely interesting story behind about new technology might come.

2 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger Edward Shen 沈育德 said...

Sometimes our experiences can be recalled with related objects, images, videos, audios, and so on. But other experiences are hard to re-experienced with these media.
If we think of a journey to a place, take my trip to Spain as an example, it can somehow be recorded by photos and other media, but life as a journey, on the other hand, tends to be hard to record because there are so many things hard to be depicted by those media, such as like/dislike, daily habits, beliefs, ways to talk, ways to think about things, and all other personality stuffs.
I wonder if there may be a way to represent all these things in the computing machines, just like building the ConceptNet, and then we may build an even more interesting THING for people to interact with all the experiences and thoughts they ever have or care about.
I'm not sure why it is important in an academic way, but from the course I took in asiaworks (http://www.asiaworks.com.tw) I believe that having people to investigate who they really are and what they are really doing should benefit them to have better lives and make better choices for themselves when facing delimma or crossroads in their lives.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Edward Shen 沈育德 said...

Kelly's "Geometry of Psychological Space" and its Significance for Cognitive Modeling,

by Mildred L. G. Shaw & Brian R. Gaines

http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/articles/NewPsych92/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home